Tuesday 25 February 2014

Recipe: Baked Egg in a Tomato Bowl

 photo DSC00331_zps6e6baa00.jpg 

I love vegetables but I'm not a salad person.

I can eat steamed vegetables, hot chunky soups and stir fry all day err day but I'm not one to munch on lettuce and raw peppers. I also love eggs so I'm constantly looking for eggcellent ways to incorporate it into every meal that I eat. I spotted a picture of this dish on Instagram and set to explore this cracking idea further. I'm obsessed so I thought I'd share it with you too! : )

This is incredibly easy to make (so easy that I feel a bit silly writing a recipe on it) and would be great for any time of the day: breakfast, lunch, pre/post workout snack or even as a side to go with your dinner! Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------

YOU WILL NEED:

A beef tomato (bigger tomatoes works best)
A medium-large free range egg
Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Coriander (optional)

Shall we start?

 photo DSC00318_zpsd8a5937e.jpg  photo DSC00321_zps62188d8a.jpg 

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Using a sharp knife, slice the top of the tomato off. This will act as the 'lid' to your bowl.

 photo DSC00322_zps107e1838.jpg 

2. Hollow out the inside of the tomato but leave a thick border as we wouldn't want our egg whites to leak out from any accidental holes! 

(You won't need the tomato bits for this recipe so you can either discard it or store it in a little bowl to munch on later on!)

 photo DSC00323_zps6caee48e.jpg 

3. It should look like this. Make sure you've gotten rid of the excess water inside too.

 photo DSC00324_zps93e6e0d2.jpg 
 photo DSC00325_zpsb232a450.jpg 

4. Crack the egg inside and ensure that everything is contained inside your tomato bowl and not spilling over the edges. 

5. Place your tomato bowl in the oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how well you'd like your eggs to be cooked. If you're a cheese person, take the egg out after 10 minutes, sprinkle on some parmesan or low fat mozzarella and put it back in for a further 10 minutes.

 photo DSC00327_zps18083d2c.jpg 

6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I sprinkled on some coriander leaves for added flavour but feel free to top it with some spring onion, basil or even some steamed spinach or mushrooms! Bacon lovers could place a slice or two over the top too.

7. Enjoy!

 photo DSC00333_zps5bb6756c.jpg

That's all, yolks!

To pack this dish with even more nutrients, you could place some kale, mushrooms or spinach leaves at the base of the tomato before covering it with the egg. This would also taste great served alongside avocado or smoked salmon - eggs-periment with what you've got! ; )

Ok, I'm done with the egg puns. I'm egghausted!

If you end up making this, let me know how you got on with it - I'd love to know : )

Have a great rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment