Tuesday 21 January 2014

Healthy Breakfast Ideas: Low GI Options, Protein and Good Fats


Now, I take the phrase 'eat breakfast like a king' very, very seriously.

 If you're looking to adapt to a healthier lifestyle change or want to shed a few pounds, I have a few healthy breakfast ideas to suit most tastes. Please bear in mind that I'm not a licensed nutritionist/dietician so I'm not demanding you to listen to me - I'm simply sharing my daily routine and the things that I've learnt along the way. I also wanted an excuse to share a load of my breakfast pictures (like the one above, drool). Tell me that I'm not the only one that likes photos of porridge/poached eggs close up?

Breakfast Facts:

The first meal of the day should technically be your biggest meal of the day. Breakfast quite literally means to 'break the fast' from the 6-8 hours that you've been asleep. It's the meal that kickstarts your metabolism, refuels your body and supplies it with enough energy to keep you going for the day ahead. To sum it up, it's important and if you plan on losing weight and maintain it, it's a must. Never skip breakfast (unless you plan on having a slow metabolism by starting your first meal at lunch with a tyre belly and sluggish mood to match.)

I normally kick start my day with a glass of cold water and aim to eat my breakfast within 30-60 minutes of waking up. Don't ignore the hunger pangs - your body will slowly head to starvation mode and then proceed to cling on to any signs of fat - not good.

Complex Carbs: Low GI Food

Aim to have a mix of protein, fibre and complex carbohydrates with your breakfast. Carbs get a very, very bad rep but they're essential if you know the right types to eat! Ditch the morning pastries and aim for low-GI options instead. Food with a low glycaemic index will provide you with slow-release energy, keep you fuller for longer and gradually raise your blood sugar levels throughout the day whilst taking longer to break down the food that you've eaten. It avoids the instant sugar crash that you'd get from high GI (simple and refined) carbs such as croissants/pain au chocolats and won't spike your insulin levels. All of this comes back down to another reason with why porridge is so great. 

Above: porridge with goji berries, half a banana, half an apple, sunflower seeds and unsweetened cranberries with a sprinkle of cinnamon for luck

The Benefits of Oats:

Oh, wholegrain rolled oats. It's packed with fibre and will keep you full until lunch without having to reach for a mid-morning biscuit. I normally cook it with around 150ml of water and 50ml semi-skimmed milk for a thicker consistency; I flavour it with cinnamon, sliced fruit and nuts/seeds. I sometimes mix mine in with some natural/greek/strained yogurt too - my absolute favourite being Chobani. An added dose of protein with my complex carbs - perfect : )! I also love adding a small handful of almonds/linseed/flaxseeds/sunflower seeds/walnuts to incorporate some healthy fats into the dish too.

Note: Do NOT go for the instant oatmeal packets - whilst they may seem convenient and have flavours like 'golden syrup' - it's full of sugar and preservatives. Stick to the traditional rolled oats/steel-cut oats option instead. Ditch the brown sugar/swirls of golden syrup in there too. If you're aiming to eat healthy, adding in a ton of sugar is not going to help matters (or your waistline). Stick to a small amount of honey if absolute necessary or have fruit for natural sweetness instead! :)

 photo image_zps7a3ddcde.jpg
Above: half an avocado and two poached eggs with chilli flakes

Protein and Healthy Fats:

My favourite food group: protein. As I do a lot of circuit/cardio/strength training, I try to include protein rich things into every meal to aid muscle repair with the essential food to refuel my body after working out. Some of my favourite breakfast options include quinoa, nuts, natural/greek yogurt and eggs. Want swishy hair and glowing skin? Avocados, and smoked or normal salmon/mackerel will also give you much needed doses of healthy fats too. I'm trying to incorporate more eggs/salmon/steamed vegetables with my breakfast (instead of my beloved porridge) following Carly's advice and amazing food diary posts so here are the things that I've been experimenting with lately:

 photo image_zps2cb618c6.jpg

Meal Ideas:

- Half an avocado with poached eggs and chilli flakes (no additional seasoning and DELICIOUS)

- Smoked salmon with scrambled eggs and a bed of spinach/courgettes/grilled mushrooms/tomatoes

- A slice of rye bread with a layer of houmous, a boiled egg, carrot sticks, celery sticks and a small pot of extra houmous on the side ;)

- Greek yogurt mixed with oats, blueberries, almonds, walnuts and a teaspoon of natural peanut butter

- Two egg spinach omelette with grilled tomatoes, mushrooms and sriracha chilli sauce

 photo image_zps26b92e0b.jpg

(I just had to add in another picture although I took too long perfecting this photo after cooking it and it went cold. ALL THE MORE REASON TO MAKE MORE.)


Eggs BeneFit:

Eggs, oh eggs. I could dedicate another post to the rounded geniuses. They're packed full of protein, keep you full and are mighty good for you. A lot of people ditch the egg yolks to avoid the high cholesterol but it's actually where most of the nutrients are based! Don't throw it away, eat it! I boil it, poach it, make it into an omelette, mix it with oats to make a mug cake or I turn them into banana pancakes. These are magical: a two-ingredient pancake that tastes like the real thing but it's all clean. I first saw this on Blogilates and it's been a staple ever since as it's super easy to whip up! It's 100% natural and is also a great pre/post workout snack too as banana is a great source of potassium too.


Above: 2 ingredient banana pancakes served with frozen banana peanut butter ice cream (2 natural ingredients!) and some Thai mango

I also make this when I fancy dessert/an extra sweet but healthy breakfast at the weekends. Every person I've cooked this for has loved it and I always get requests to make it! I like to add in some baked cinnamon apple slices, grated pear or heated up berries with a swirl of honey drizzled on top. It's beautiful. Evidence below:

 photo photo7_zpsd7ddb46b.jpg  photo photo6_zps2a31b995.jpg

So voila! I hope this has helped!

I've received a lot of requests recently to film more cooking/food videos so keep your eyes peeled for that in the next few weeks. It puts a HUGE smile on my face to know that you enjoy the healthy videos and it gives me an excuse to experiment with my meals!

What are your favourite things to eat for breakfast?  

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! So helpful can't wait to try some of these meal ideas :)

    ReplyDelete