Thursday 30 January 2014

Healthy Lunch Ideas #1: Low Carb, Gluten Free and High Protein

 photo image_zps24c004a1.jpg 
Yay lunch!

Continuing on from my healthy breakfast series, I thought I'd share a few meals that I've been preparing for work over the last week or so that focuses on low carbs with a higher protein intake and a boost in healthy fats too. If you're looking for some lunch time inspiration, I hope this comes in handy for you! Please note, a few of these meals are highly repetitive with minimal changes for a few reasons:

1) I do a weekly food shop where 90% of the things I buy are fresh fruit and vegetables. I've learnt that if I go too crazy with my choices, they end up a sad and wilted bunch in the fridge.

2) Whilst I'm adventurous with food when eating out or cooking a lavish dinner - my lunches are a different story. I prefer simplicity and meals that require minimal effort but have maximum health benefits. Because of this, I like to repeat the same meals over and over again until my next weekly shop (or until I finally get bored!)

3) I have an addictive personality. Once I'm obsessed with something or a certain food 'e.g. eggs', I'll eat it again and again until I'm sick of it 'e.g. avocados'.

Meal #1: The Salad
  photo 55854621-5b7b-4a7b-9f76-9c71462047e2_zpsb07aedb3.jpg
Above: One large carrot, two stalks of celery, two tomatoes and two boiled eggs.

Now, I'm not a huge salad person and much prefer having vegetables that are steamed or quickly stir-fried instead but there are some days where I fancy something fresh, quick and easy. It's also a great snack for the transitional period between meals if the hunger pangs hit!

Tomatoes are packed full of vitamins, low in calories and contain a high level of lycopene - an antioxidant that helps to prevent various cancers. Celery reduces high blood pressure and aids digestion due to its high water content. Boiled eggs provide you with healthy good fats and are high in protein to aid muscle repair post-workout. It also provides you with vitamin D to boost calcium levels for stronger teeth and bones!

Meal #2: Smoked Salmon
 photo image_zpsfe05e240.jpg  photo image_zps34c70b3a.jpg 
Above: smoked salmon, steamed kale and spinach with a boiled egg on the side

I usually only eat meat during the weekends and so consume a lot of steamed, grilled or smoked fish on weekdays. It's not for health reasons but purely a personal preference and this changes if a lunch/dinner crops up mid-week (hello steak). I rarely season my meals and whilst I can sense people shudder at the thought of bland vegetables, I actually prefer it! My mother is still getting over the fact that I dislike white rice, avoid simple carbs and have an intense hatred for soy sauce but that's another story.

Adding smoked salmon/mackerel helps to flavour the vegetables and adds a subtle hint of smokiness to the meal. If you hate the idea of steamed kale/spinach, this helps to season it whilst the boiled egg adds an extra texture to the dish! Smoked salmon and mackerel provides you with omega-3 fatty acids, are another great protein source and an alternative to chicken/turkey if you don't like the texture of meat. However, as the name suggests, it's high in sodium so eat this in moderation and focus on bulking up your lunch with veggies instead : )

Meal #3: Leafy Greens 
 photo image_zpsf689fc20.jpg 
Above: smoked mackerel, steamed kale and spinach with half a sliced avocado
 photo image_zps74d31c0d.jpg 
Above: steamed kale and spinach, half an avocado and one boiled egg

Have I mentioned that I love steamed vegetables? Well, I do. Aside from eating it raw, it's one of the healthiest (and arguably quickest) methods of preparing your meals. I just chuck it in my steamer for 5-15 minutes, potter around the house and ding! it's done. Unlike boiling, it still retains most of the nutrients and keeps the moisture too.

If you're aiming to up your intake of leafy greens, the general rule is that the darker it is, the better it'll be for you. Whilst lettuce is a popular go-to item when preparing salads, things like kale, spinach and broccoli are hailed as the 'super foods' in the green world and there's not much that will top it health benefits wise. I'm slightly bias here as I eat it on a daily basis but it's packed full of nutrients like vitamins C, A, K and E - now there's a 'CAKE' that'll do you nothing but good ;) - these help to strengthen your immune system, clear congestion and boost your energy too.

There's been a lot of hype over kale recently and rightly so, it contains a very high level of vitamin K - an antioxidant that helps to reduce the risk of cancer, lowers cholesterol levels and is one of the healthiest things you could possibly eat. If you're a fan of crispy seaweed at Chinese takeaways, kale chips are a great alternative for a Saturday night binge or movie snack. Let me know if you'd like a recipe on it : )

If you're vegetarian or prefer another alternative to smoked fish, avocados may be your new best friend. It'll do your skin and hair wonders, is high in soluble fibre and so will keep you full with its slow-release of energy throughout the day.

Meal #4: Sweet Potato and Rye Bread
 photo image_zps9b5db4bc.jpg
Above: Roasted sweet potato and butternut squash served with sliced avocado on half a rye bread slice

I love sweet potato so much that I'm pretty sure I was known as the 'sweet potato' girl at work when I first started. I ate it all day, every day. Whether it's steamed, grilled, roasted, mashed or turned into spicy sweet potato chips and wedges, I can't get enough of them (I have it for lunch today.)

If you're cutting out white potatoes from your diet, these are great (and taste better too!) It's high in magnesium, rich in potassium, lowers blood sugar levels and aids weight loss with its fibre content. Rye bread gives you an extra boost in the fibre department and I reach for a half/one slice of it when I fancy an alternative to wholemeal bread; it doesn't make me feel as bloated as I would with wheat-based products. If you're on a GF diet, feel free to skip this part and just replace it with some vegetables instead!

Tada! I salute you if you're reached this point.

I hope this has helped and hasn't been too repetitive. I'll post up a few more ideas in the next few weeks and change up the ingredients for more variation!

What's your go-to healthy lunch to prepare? : )

1 comment:

  1. Just when I needed inspirations for lunch! All of these options looks very yummy!

    My go-to healthy lunch is Quinoa with chicken and tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete